Re: Security team plans for the squeeze cycle

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 10:15:37PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> I remember sometime ago a posting telling that there is no testing security
> support for a while, but did not yet see an announcement that squeeze
> security support is in place. Did I miss it or is testing still w/o security
> support?

The security team will deal with security support for Squeeze when
it's frozen.

Security support for testing between releases consists of two
parts:
- Making sure that security issues are promptly reported and fixed
in unstable. This was never stopped and works very well. As a result
fixes migrate to testing rather timely unless they're stuck in a
transition or such.
- Rebuilds of security fixes for testing. This is mostly inactive and
at the current point unlikely to resume to full support any time soon,
since it's quite time-consuming. It needs a automated solution, which
rebuilds a fix from unstable to the current testing, if Debian wants
to continue to provide security support for testing the the time
between releases.

Cheers,
        Moritz