Re: Policy restriction to depend on font packages

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> writes:

> ttf-opensymbol comes out of openoffice.org itself (easily checkable) and
> is needed for basic operation. You won't get any bullet in OOos lists
> without it.

Even if you're running an X font server on a different host that is
providing that font?  Does that not work?  (I haven't tried to use one
since TTF fonts became possible, and don't know if it even works with
TTF.)

> You don't really want that as a Recommends, do you?

The reason for the Policy requirement for Recommends is to enable font
servers and not require all the fonts be installed locally when you're
running a font server.

It's possible that font servers are quaint bit of computer history that no
one cares about any more, though, in which case Policy should change.