Re: ongoing curl transition pain

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 05:13:57PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > - Drop the SSL-less variant of the library, which was not present in curl
> >   7.15.5; AFAICS, there is no use case where a user of curl *needs* to *not*
> >   have SSL support, so this split seems to be unnecessary overhead.  Please
> >   correct me if I'm mistaken.
>
> I made this to allow thos not willing to install any SSL-related stuff
> but never checked it is really possible. IIRC I was even asked for it.
> Anyway I don't feel strong on it, if it as to go away it will.

Theoretically, there could be license issues if a GPL program wanted to
link with a libcurl version which links with OpenSSL - and OpenSSL is
incompatible with the GPL.

But in practice that's not a problem: Pure GPL packages (i.e. without any
OpenSSL exception in the license) can just explicitly depend on the
libcurl-gnutls variant.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯