Re: [Etch upload request] fixes to package sisu-0.48.8-4 (bugfix and documentation)

On 31/12/06, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> wrote:
> ralph.amissah@gmail.com writes:
> >   * debian control, sisu-pdf now depends on texlive alone, (alternative
> >     tetex depends removed - reason: problem keeping both working!), take
> >     on board suggestion by to rely on texlive Frank Küster if tetex is
> >     problematic (this addresses, but does not close #402807 without
> >     further discussion, dropping alternative tetex depends simplifies
> >     sisu-pdf (tex) related depends, and makes it much more reliable
> >     (also see in changelog earlier feedback on sisu-pdf depends from
> >     Norbert Preining url at 0.47.7-3) depends here drop reliance on
> >     metapackages, (extra checks required as to determine whether texlive
> >     depends list may be shortened, playing safe))
>
> In #402807, Frank Küster proposed a list of Depends that was fairly
> short, but in the diff, I see this:
>
> +Depends: sisu, texlive-common, texlive-base-bin, texlive-base, texlive-generic-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended, texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-latex-extra, texlive-pdfetex, latex-ucs
>
> Are really all these packages needed? Some of these packages are *huge*,
> so you should think twice before depending on them.

Thanks, my earlier depends list was incomplete, it seems i had manually
taken in more packages than appear in the depends - (so there are
problems with the previously existing depends, not pulling in all that
is required).

I will continue to look into this, and there hopefully are texlive
packages that can be dropped (there are a couple i am not certain
about), but my checking _so far_ indicates that they/most are ... will
do more checking and provide further feedback, and will ask the
texlivers. Problem a number several of the huge packages are required
for single \usepackage includes. [There are special footnote
requirements, edge cases but needed, and odd tables ...  i had
better look.

This works across all documents generated, (i would prefer to have less
(and in fact wished to be able to hold on to tetex for the smaller
footprint), but it is taking more time than expected (my toolchain does
not yet allow for the easy purging and re-installation of all things tex
and i keep finding things/output that don't work any longer when i
de-select texlive packages), and i begin to be anxious, to be sure it
works)

I guess a re-starting point for me is provided here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-tex-maint/2006/10/msg00620.html
and to ask texivers ... (who have been helpful in the past and hope they
have a bit of time at the moment).

There are 5 days before this would be ready to move in to testing, i
will continue checking on what can be cut out and will get back to you
before then, (hopefully with a with shortened texlive depends list
build, else with a repeated unblock request) [guess i will mark
shortened tex live lists with priority high :].

Happy New Year's Eve,
Ralph Amissah