Re: Sarge -> Etch upgrade: no way to prevent removal of running kernel

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 07:45:22PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> What kind of dummy packages do you think of? An empty one depending on
> yaird | initramfs-tools | linux-initramfs-tool
>
> Would sarge's kernel work with yaird?
> cu and- Pretty sure I am missing the whole point - reas

If we don't support the use of a sarge kernel when running etch, then
the initrd-tools dummy package can really be completely empty.  It
merely needs to exist to satisfy the old kernel-image's dependency on an
initrd-tools package so we don't remove the running kernel-image.  We
don't need a working initrd-tools package, or any other means of
generating a new initrd that works with the old sarge kernel.

OTOH, we could just let initrd-tools 0.1.84.1 migrate from sid to etch.
That might be the simplest solution.  Is this really going to break
anything?

noah