Re: next libgadu upload

* Marcin Owsiany [Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:24:10 +0100]:

> Hi,

Hey Marcin,

> I would like to upload ekg-1.6+20060826+1.7rc2-1 soon (and 1.7-release
> before etch is frozen if ekg-team can make it), so I would like to make
> sure I won't break anything for libgadu's reverse-dependancies.

kdenetwork (which provides kopete) is the only package in the archive
build-depending on libgadu-dev, so this should be an easy transition. ;-)

> Although there are no significant library changes, it's
> GG_LIBGADU_VERSION string (in .h file and returned by
> gg_libgadu_version()) is going to change because of bug #310276 in the
> following way:

> -#define GG_LIBGADU_VERSION "20060616"
> +#define GG_LIBGADU_VERSION "1.6.20060826"

> when I do the RC upload, and probably to something like "1.7.YYYYMMDD"
> on the -release upload.

> I know that kopete had a workaround for a change in opposite direction
> in its library detection code, but I'd like to make sure I won't break
> anything this time.

I remember the upload. The change was made as to work with both schemes
of GG_LIBGADU_VERSION, so the configure script will parse 1.7.YYYYMMDD
just fine.

(For the casual readers of #310276, and for -talk: I changed debian/rules
to pass --with-external-libgadu to ./configure.)

> Also (this is probably a question to the release managers) do I need to
> wait for anything else before I upload?

No, everything looks fine, but thanks a lot for contacting us first. :-)

> Another thing: I'd like to make use of the new '~' support, but I've
> read (in DWN I think) that buildds don't support it yet. Is it going to
> be fully supported anytime soon?

This would be untrue, see e.g.:

  http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=python2.5&ver=2.5~c1-1

ekg_1.7~rc2-1 will work just fine.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Proper treatment will cure a cold in seven days, but left to itself, a
cold will hang on for a week.
                -- Darrell Huff