Re: util-linux/getty bug

* LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org> [2004-09-20 09:06:20 -0600]:

> I just uploaded 2.12-8 with Samuel Thibault's patch to sid.  The only
> change from 2.12-7 is the fix for the 5 (duplicate) serious bugs in
> getty.  #226443 has the patch from Samuel.
>
> Once it's built on the buildd's, please snap it into sarge.
 Is it really a good fix? I have fetched it, built for my Sarge while
doing normal updates/upgrades as well. Since then my consoles are doing
all kind of weird things:
- sometimes it's not really responsive when I would like to cancel
  (ctrl+c) foreground processes; after some more ctrl+c I get the
  respawn errors for an _other_ tty (ie I do ctrl+c on tty1, but get
  the error for tty3 -> if I do startx this time, then XFree86 starts on
  tty3 instead of tty7),
- sometimes my ssh just does not work, it closes the connection to the
  remote host immediately without asking me for my password; a logout
  and relogin fixes this,
- sometimes if I close XFree86, then I logged out as well for no
  particular reason - this happens with other tasks as well, when they
  finish, I just logged out.

Anyone seeing similar to these? I do not have an exact reproducing
reciepe, sorry. But I will put back 2.12-6 and see if these things still
happen; I think they won't...

The latest Mozilla-Firefox 0.9.3-5 (which has security fixes) also does
some weird things. When I first installed it, it killed all my settings,
theme and plugins (from 0.9.3-4). I do not know if this related to the
backported security fixes from Firefox 1.0 Preview. But also has some
issues with framesets or something else, which happens rarely -
framesets became scrollable sometimes, even if they contain nothing
bellow, only empty (ie white background) comes up.

I do not want to be blind and file RC bugs against the mentioned
packages until someone else confirms these symptoms.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS