Re: sarge planning: interdependent packages

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 20:02, Steve Langasek wrote:
> - Installing the new version of heimdal in testing breaks the version of
>   postgresql currently in testing.  The version of postgresql in
>   unstable no longer depends on heimdal (it uses MIT Kerberos instead),
>   so it doesn't have to go in at the same time as the above three
>   packages -- it can go in before them, when it's ready.
>
> - Postgresql is currently not ready, because it's held up by perl.
>   There are two outstanding bugs on perl due to unexpected ABI breakage
>   in perl 5.8.1.  The perl maintainers are working on reverting this
>   breakage, and I would estimate 2-3 weeks for the fix to reach the
>   archive (and 2 days after that to reach testing).  Interested parties
>   can find the discussion on debian-perl@lists.debian.org if you would
>   like to lend a hand with the package preparation/testing.

> Please consider this an invitation to a mini-freeze for these packages,

If I rightly understand this, postgresql must go into testing before
heimdal.  Postgresql is held up by perl so I have some leeway, but I
shouldn't make an upload that is likely to keep things waiting beyond
the 16 to 23 days that it will take perl to go in.

Is that correct?

     "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD will
      give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold
      from them that walk uprightly."        Psalms 84:11