Random stuff

'lo world,

So, by the time you read this message, a bunch of packages that have
RC bugs in the range 0-200000 will have been removed from testing
[0]. Additionally, I've added hints for perl and zlib; there's a good
chance perl will go in in the next testing run (which will have happened
by the time you read this mail), and zlib should be ready to try by the
following run.

There's a lot of garbage in the RC bug list -- in the list of bugs
I looked at that were all over six months old, there were a couple
of security problems that haven't been fixed in unstable yet, eg. We
want to pare this down as much as possible, so I'd like to start seeing
suggestions for removals again. If Nathanael or Joe or others want to
make some suggestions [1] Colin and Steve should be able to help filter
and/or collate them.

BTW, anyone can upgrade/downgrade bugs if it's appropriate; there's
no need to ask the maintainer or the RM unless you're concerned
with the "in the package maintainer's opinion, makes the package
unsuitable for release" clause. Basically, the only time you need
to pass the buck is when something's ambiguous; and these days,
most of the time it's not.  Sometimes when it is ambiguous,
http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt will help.

Cheers,
aj

[0] See http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/ajt hopefully.

[1] Please don't take the opportunity to suggest the removal of pet hates;
    only participate if you're interesting in looking through a bunch of
    packages that you mostly don't use, and weighing up what's worth keeping
    and what's not throughout Debian.

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004