Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Debian sid and etch artwork.

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 12:19 -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> [ Unfortunately the cross-posting is necessary, but hopefully after a
> online meeting we will have a separated mailing list ]
>
> I would like to discuss with you the Debian sid and etch artwork
> infrastructure and after that the artwork itself. The plan is organize
> a online meeting, but we can kick off it here and define our agenda.

Yeah, I guess we should setup some alioth project + mailing list, and
maybe an irc channel (#debian-desktop ?)

> The current status (fixes are welcome):
> - kdm theme and kde splash and wallpaper are maintained only by
> pkg-kde team and in their svn repository;
> - gdm theme is maintained in gdm by Ryan Murray, gdm splash is in
> gnome-session and wallpaper in desktop-base (splash is in desktop-base
> too but unused atm);
> - xfce splash and wallpaper are maintained only by pkg-xfce team and
> in their svn repository;

yes, we have a xfce4-artwork package with some wallpaper.

> What i think would be good (suggestions, please):
> - Move desktop-base to a "neutral" svn repository (eg: debian-desktop
> group in alioth);

agreed

> - Give commit access to at least two members of pkg-kde, pkg-gnome and
> pkg-xfce and rmurray in that "neutral" repository;

agreed

> - Ask artists to work on a common wallpaper for Sid and Etch and three
> different splash images and add these images in desktop-base;

I don't really know if we should have one common wallpaper for all
environnments. If we had a common template with (for example) the logo
of each environmment, wouldn't it be better ?

> - Ask artists to work on gdm and kdm themes based on the common wallpapers;

agreed

> - Prepare desktop-base to build the kdm and gdm themes;
> - Prepare desktop-base to let us change from Sid->Etch themes and
> wallpapers with a simple change and single upload (alternatives?);
> - Upload the new desktop-base;
> - Change gdm, kdm, kde and xfce to point to the new images in
> desktop-base and desktop-base built binaries;

agreed

> Related wiki article: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtwork
>
> I think in a online meeting we can discuss the details, who will do
> what and define some more stuff like icon themes and all that.
> Thoughts?

Yeah, I guess we should find some time to discuss this, but I don't
really know who is online at the moment and when do we have free-time.
There are currently 3 greatly implicated members in pkg-xfce (Emanuele
Rocca, Simon Huggins and me, with some other members which may be happy
to participate). For the schedule, we are all three of us from Europe
(but ema is in holidays :) )

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
--