Re: Lowering the barrier to entry/adoption and (mass) svn-to-git migration

Hello,

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> I agree, I think anything that reduces the complexity of the ecosystem
> is great and the lowers the barrier for entry. As pretty anything uses
> Git now, I think migrating more things from SVN to Git would be great.

I will not forbid anyone to work on this but IMO the time to handle mass
migration is long past. Anything that still has subversion listed
in its VCS is effectively unmaintained.

If I were to take over one of those packages I would just use "gbp
import-dscs" to recreate some partial history based on snapshot.debian.org
and I would not put any more effort than this.

Even if I wanted to take care of all those packages as QA work to
increase their chance of someone taking over, I would do the same
and move the new repositories in the debian namespace.

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋    The Debian Handbook: https://debian-handbook.info/get/
  ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀   Debian Long Term Support: https://deb.li/LTS