Re: lintian worker on Debian infra ; future of lintian.debian.org

On Wed, Jul  6, 2022 at 21:56:16 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> 1/ Moving the worker node to Debian infra
>
> Currently the worker node (that runs lintian) is an AWS VM. It would
> be nice to move it to Debian infra instead. Requirements are:
> - bullseye VM where lintian from bullseye-backports can be installed.
>   Ideally, you would then auto-upgrade it from backports when a new
>   version gets released. Or someone can ping you to do it.
> - the orchestrator (on the UDD VM) connects using SSH to the worker
>   node.
> - technical specs: running lintian is mainly CPU intensive, and requires
>   some disk space to store the temporary data. The AWS VM has 8 cores,
>   32 GB RAM, 100 GB disk.

That is probably feasible, although I'm curious why this is preferred
over a cloud VM, or set of cloud VMs (in a debian-owned account) that
can get spawned as needed instead of a static host?

> 2/ Future of lintian.debian.org.
>
> It is currently not actively maintained, and the data on it is stale. We
> can:
> - keep it like that until someone decides to adopt it (but the fact that
>   the data is stale is a bit misleading)
> - shut it down or redirect it to https://udd.debian.org/lintian/ or
>   somewhere else.
> I don't have a strong opinion.

I think we should very much not keep it stale, it's been that way way
too long already.  I'd lean towards shutting it down but a redirect
would also be OK IMO.

Cheers,
Julien