Re: linux-source-4.18 and other old kernel-related packages are uninstallable in sid

On Thu, 2019-02-28 at 20:58 +0100, s3v wrote:

> I've searched around for "cruft" packages and, if I have understood
> correctly, all these are some kind of "phantom" packages that require
> manual intervention for an effective removal.

Right.

> I would like to ask you whether there is some tool (program/script/internal
> Debian machinery) to discover cruft packages or a public list of those.

I think for your purposes, only translating the descriptions for the
binary packages from the latest version of each source package would be
the way to go. Probably the DDTSS tool should mark obsolete binary
packages as having lower priority and mark packages in unstable/testing
as lower priority than stable. I suggest you bring this topic up on the
debian-i18n mailing list or wherever DDTSS is discussed.

> I know my questions are not important at all, but a lot of time and
> energies can be saved by having this list so that we (translators)
> can concentrate on "actual" translations.

On the contrary, I think it is definitely important to respect the time
and energy of all Debian contributors, including translators.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise