Re: reportbug reports are not sent

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 13:56:30 Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Joseph Herlant wrote:
> > Reportbug sends mails via your local mail server by default.
>
> I wonder if these two options would be more useful to most users:
>
> Save the mail to your MUA drafts folder (easy, most are mbox or Maildir).

This is a good thought -- I gave some thought on this to see if there were
notable exceptions where this would yield unexpected results:

  -  Using "regular" IMAP (i.e. not "disconnected" IMAP) is common, and
     in that setup there are only mail indexes locally, and not actual mail
     content.  I'm not sure how most MUAs would see an mbox or Maildir file
     dropped to it in this case.

  -  In the case of KMail2 mail storage is now done via Akonadi which
     uses MySQL for storage, so its mail storage isn't in mbox or Maildir
     anymore.  :-(

  -  In the case of Kmail v1 the default location for mail storage was
     in subdirectories under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/ rather than under
     ~/mail or ~/Mail like one would expect.  [For Debian this issue is
     limited to Wheezy.]  The main point for mentioning this is that it's
     not immediately obvious where to drop an email file to so that it
     will be seen by every MUA.

  -  Users that exclusively use webmail won't see local mail.
     Unfortunately getting to be common today.  :-(

  -  Users that don't use email at all.  Might be alien to us in Debian
     (or at least it surprises me), but that seems to be happening too.

> Open the mail in your MUA composer (there is xdg-email or reportbug-ng
> has stuff for this, including webmail clients).

I've been using reportbug-ng (happily) and thus sending bug reports formatted
by reportbug-ng using a normal mail client.  It detects locally installed MUAs
(but it doesn't detect any of the webmail I occasionally use AFAICT).  It's
definitely worth trying IMHO.

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle