[RFC] introducing sources.d.n

Heya, as anticipated yesterday on IRC, I've a new toy to present and I'm
looking for comments, suggestions, ... and patches! ;) for it. Ladies
and gentlemen:

  http://sources.debian.net/

My initial need was to have a stable link base to cross-reference
results of static analysis tools to actual source code in the Debian
archive, without having to reinvent the code browsing/highlighting wheel
each time. E.g.:

  http://sources.debian.net/src/cowsay/3.03%2Bdfsg1-4/cowsay?hl=22:28&msg=22:Cowsay:See?%20Cowsay%20variables%20are%20declared%20here.#L22

in a single place. But it quickly turned into something that sounded
useful as a more general tool, so I've grabbed the sources.d.n DNS
entry. People thus far seem to like it: sources.d.n has already been
integrated into codesearch.d.n, which will link back to sources.d.n
(with graceful degradation if needed), as well as into the PTS, which
has grown a new "browse source code" link.

The code base is updated 4 times a day and currently follows stable,
testing, unstable, and experimental. Also, disappeared versions are kept
around for 14 days before being removed, to reduce the likelihood of
dangling links from services that are updated less often
(e.g. codesearch itself, which is updated weekly).

If you've other ideas about where sources.d.n should be integrated,
please shout. The code base is still young, and there are plenty of
pending items to be worked on (see TODO file in the Git repo [1]). Feel
free to mention additional issues here.

[1]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=qa/debsources.git;a=blob;f=TODO;hb=HEAD

Acknowledgements
----------------

Matthieu Caneill, who is subscribed to this list, is the main developer
of the web part of sources.d.n; the service wouldn't exist without him.
Thanks a lot, Matthieu! Other people have contributed patches to
integrate sources.d.n with various parts of the Debian infrastructure
already: many thanks to Michael Stapelberg (for codesearch.d.n
integration) and Paul Wise (for PTS integration). See [2] for a full
list of contributors.

[2]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=qa/debsources.git;a=blob;f=AUTHORS;hb=HEAD

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .