Re: Guidance required for GSoC project PTS rewrite in Django

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> thank you Paul for having shared your ideas. They are all very
> interesting in some ways but most are probably out of scope
> for the GSOC project that I and Stefano are mentoring (I'm saying
> this just to avoid confusion in the students heads).

Thanks for the clarification.

> Interesting indeed, but it's impossible to plan a GSOC based on something
> that's going to be developed in parallel.

Agreed :(

> Using UDD as one possible source of data is certainly desirable
> in the planned rewrite. But expanding the scope of UDD is not really
> planned (unless we have UDD maintainers who are very reactive).
>
> I'm not expecting the students to contribute code to UDD.

Stefano is an admin in collab-qa and a mentor for this project, so
that should be enough?

> On the contrary, I see the PTS evolving in something much more interactive
> and dynamic. As an example of future extension (outside of the scope of
> this GSOC), it would be nice if people could fill missing debtags directly
> in the PTS and then package maintainers + DD could approve them. Or if
> people could fill-in upstream metadata (upstream VCS, BTS, etc.) that we
> don't want to store in debian/control currently.

I expect this move will be unpopular, one of the members of DSA has
already registered their disapproval in the other thread. IIRC Enrico
is planning to add ways for other folks to approve debtags changes.
The upstream metadata apart from homepage is stored in
debian/upstream:

http://wiki.debian.org/debian/upstream
http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep12

Perhaps a hybrid approach is appropriate, distributed static files for
information display and main site for modifications etc.

> It's still interesting to authenticate people so that we can subscribe
> them to packages more easily (for a better integration with the mail
> part).

Hmm, I suppose so.

> And later to handle other kind of operations (as suggested above).

None of the user submission sites (debtags, screenshots, description
translations, watch files) require logins and I suggest we continue
that tradition if you want to move those to the PTS instead of having
them on their own domains.

--
bye,
pabs