Re: PTS: host static files on static.d.o?

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Paul Wise wrote:
> Most of the PTS is currently static HTML/etc files, that can change
> approximately every 6 hours, depending on changes in the archive and in
> external package checkers (lintian etc). The PTS is a fairly essential
> service for package maintainers and it would be nice to take advantage
> of it's static HTML generation to provide information to maintainers
> even when the main host is down or disconnected.

Please don't implement this for now. The planned GSOC project concerning
the PTS is likely to change this initial design decision of having almost
only static content.

High availability is important for the PTS because it is a central part of
the communication infrastructure too, and that can't be done with
static.d.o. So we should probably investigate other ways to make it fault
tolerant rather than a simple redundancy of static HTML pages.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/