Some questions about NMUing a package for the QA team

Hi! Lately I have been having some fun doing some "QA" work with Ana, although
more related to the Qt/KDE team. So I decided to try helping Debian trough
this team :-)

I selected vorbisgain as a test-case to try to understand how to work in this
area.

I looked at [0], downloaded the package's source code, review it a little and
I now have some questions, wich I would really like if someone of you can
answer it :-)

1) Some bugs, like [1], needs a maintainer decision. I, for this case, would
like to add the patch. Now, is this expected from an NMU from the QA team?

2) Suppose the package needs lots of modifications, and to make things easier
for me, I decide to switch the packaging to, let's say, dh7. Once again, is
this aceptable to the QA team?

My current position is that, if I am going to work on an orphaned package, I
have to be able to make changes as if I were the original maintainer. Of
course, I accept counter arguments for this, as it will help me to learn lots
of things :-) Of course, I also accept positive answers ;-)

3) I am just a DM, so I have limited upload rights. Are there people in this
team wanting to review/sponsor QA-related NMUs? It would be a deception to
find out that it's as difficult as getting a sponsor for one's own packages
:-/ (not my case, thanks **very much** to Ana, but I did some tries with the
"normal approach" failing miserably :-/ )

I really hope not to sound "too harsh" in the way I am writing this questions,
specially in (3). If so, please excuse me, I just want to get a good idea of
how this team works.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

[0] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=vorbisgain>
[1] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=445958>

--
"Los promotores del software privativo demonizan algo tan básico y ético como
el hecho de compartir imponiendo términos como el de 'pirata'. Equiparan

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/