Re: Status of PTS SOAP APIs

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:39:06PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> >From a reportbug POV, they could solve a lot of the problems we have
> in gathering data, and probably many other services would benefit from
> having a single point where querying data.

Good to know!

Even though we should keep in mind the data available through PTS SOAP
API is as good as PTS data, in particular it will be as *old* as PTS
data, which is updated via cron a few times a day. Would that be good
enough for reportbug purposes?

> Now, they have been in alpha stage for a long time, and that doesn't
> seem have gained them any help. They're languish while they should be
> used.

True. The usage of it is close to non-existent as far as I know. The API
implementation has also been broken for a very long time, with very
little people noticing. To be honest, I _think_ it is working now,
probably after Giovanni fixed quite a few bits during DebConf11, but I'm
not entirely sure. Have you made some test with the current
soap-alpha.cgi yet?

> What would be the downsides of just release them (so soap-alpha.cgi ->
> soap.cgi) and handle bugs/features requests as the come thru? that's
> the same effect that the alpha stage wanted to reach but without much
> success.
>
> Let's make people use them.

I'm all for it, but to be honest I'm not sure that the fact it is
currently called "soap-alpha.cgi" instead of "soap.cgi" has much to do
with the fact it's not being used.

All that is needed is advertising a bit the existence of the API (blog
posts and the like) and, more importantly, someone that keeps an eye on
the code and react to bug reports. I've made clear that, at least as
long as I'm also DPL, I won't be able to do that.

Maybe a good start would be to you to start using it and report here
your experiences (both in term of functionalities and in terms of how
good the documentation is). If it's decently working, maybe you can blog
about it and that might attract the interest of others in using it.

If you think s/-alpha// could help, by all means go ahead (you or anyone
else interested in trying that strategy). I'm also open to publish the
documentation in a more stable place than something with /~zack/ in the
URL. ... just do that :)

Thanks for revamping this discussion!
Cheers.