Re: Please remove rcconf

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:31:59AM +0100, Thomas Hood imagined:
> Please remove the rcconf package from Sarge.  In my opinion it
> is not adequate as a runlevel editor and is not release
> quality.  It is buggy.  The maintainer isn't particularly
> active.  A far superior alternative has been written by Joe
> Oppegaard.  He is currently tuning the program and plans to
> upload it very soon under sponsorship.  But even if this new
> program doesn't make it into Sarge, I think it is better to
> ship nothing than to ship rcconf in its present state.
>
> >From rcconf(8):
>
>     Rcconf checks 'defaults' links in /etc/rc?.d/ directories
>     for choice as unset, whether the package has the start
>     file with the same number in /etc/rc?.d/(?:=2345)
>     directories (rc?.d/S??name), and stop file with the same
>     number in /etc/rc?.d/(?:=2345) directories(rc?.d/K??name).
>     And Rcconf also checks in /etc/init.d/ directory for
>     choice as set.
>
> --
> Thomas Hood

Speaking as a user (not a developer) I must say that I would
miss rcconf without some kind of alternative package being
provided that provides similar functionality.

Not having a utility like this included makes Debian appear to
be primitive when compared with the likes of, say, RedHat's
chkconfig utility.

rcconf has always worked fine for me BTW.

Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
--
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name