Re: Please remove rcconf

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:31:59AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Please remove the rcconf package from Sarge.  In my opinion it
> is not adequate as a runlevel editor and is not release quality.
> It is buggy.  The maintainer isn't particularly active.  A far
> superior alternative has been written by Joe Oppegaard
> <joe@pidone.org>.  He is currently tuning the program and plans
> to upload it very soon under sponsorship.  But even if this new
> program doesn't make it into Sarge, I think it is better to ship
> nothing than to ship rcconf in its present state.

I will evaluate the new program, but the rcconf in Sid works quietly,
faithfully, and efficiently for me.  It is the only tool I evaluated to
disable services at startup, because it fits my needs perfectly.

Something else may be more perfect, but I would much poorer without it.
(Nah, I'd just write a hack-y one-off script, like I do for everything
else.)