en. But even with th

Or help from the cave. He was still alive, but we had no way of knowing how badly he was

hurt. Adriana fairly
flew from one to another, beseeching us to save him.
"He's dying! He's
under the rocks!" she screamed. "Oh, why don't you get him out?" With grave faces Willis, Ben, Addison and Thomas peered round the fallen rock and cast about for some means of moving it. "We must pry it away!" Thomas exclaimed. "Let's get a big pry!" "We

can't move that rock!" Ben declared. "We shall have to drill it and blast it." But we had used all the powder and fuse, and it would take several hours to get more. Ben insisted, however, on sending Alfred Batchelder
for the powder, and then, seizing

the hammer and drill, he began to drill a hole in the side of
the rock. Thomas,
however, still believed that we could move the rock by throwing our united weight on a long pry; and many of the boys agreed with him. We felled
a spruce tree seven inches in diameter, trimmed it and cut a pry twenty feet long from it. Carrying it to the rock, we set a stone for a fulcrum, and then threw our weight repeatedly

on the long end.
The rock, which must have weighed ten tons or more, scarcely stirred. Ben laughed at us scornfully
and went on drilling. All the while Adriana stood weeping, and the other girls were shedding tears in sympathy. Rufus's distressed cries came to our ears, entreating us to help him and saying something that we
could not understand about his leg. As Addison stood racking his brain

for some quicker way of moving the rock he
remembered a contrivance, called a "giant purchase," that he had heard of lumbermen's using to break jams

of logs on the Androscoggin River. He had never

seen one and had only the vaguest idea how it worked. All he knew was that it consisted of an immense lever, forty feet long,

Windows bitmap