Re: pybuild-autopkgtest (was: Notes from the DC22 Python Team BoF)

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 09:04:27AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 07:52:19PM +0200, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> > == pybuild improvements ==
> >
> > getting the autopkgtest MR in would be great
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/dh-python/-/merge_requests/27
> >
> > We need people to test this MR some more, although it seems fairly mature.
> >
> > It might be a good idea to have a line in d/control to let us migrate from
> > the existing autopkgtests running unit tests to the new automated MR.
>
> I've been looking at this a bit more.  I'm not sure what this last
> paragraph means: the new "automated" autopkgtest will only be run if
> the maintainer explicitly adds:
>
> Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild
>
> to debian/control (see the autodep8 MR at
> https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autodep8/-/merge_requests/27/diffs -
> it will never automatically detect a pybuild package).
> And a maintainer would presumably only add that if they are also
> removing their existing debian/tests/control (or want to run the
> pybuild tests in addition).
>
> An alternative would be for the autodep8 patch to try to determine
> whether to run pybuild-autopkgtest.  One approach could be:
>
> if the package would run autopkgtest-pkg-python:
>   if debian/control does not contain an override_dh_auto_test stanza:
>     run pybuild-autopkgtest
>
> Note, though, that if autodep8 is called, it will run all of the
> detected tests.  (At least that is what I believe happens from reading
> /usr/bin/autodep8; I haven't double-checked this.)  So, for example,
> if a package specifies
>
> Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-python
>
> it will also run the autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild suite as it will be
> detected as being a Python package, and vice versa.  That is a
> possible reason *not* to use the above suggestion, as it would
> potentially run pybuild-autopkgtest even if not desired.

I think the notes did not capture the consensus correctly. The point was
that it should be possible to automate updating the `Testsuite:` field
to run tests with pybuild-autopkgtest, and that we should probably do
that across team packages with the help of some scripting.