Re: Severity bump script

On 02.12.19 20:28, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 01-12-2019 22:45, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> Paul, this is the thread i was talking about.
>>
>> you were copied in the original email:
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/10/msg00098.html
>>
>> if there is something the RT wants to discuss about this effort,
>> please do so here, not directly to me (i may be the mail address
>> sending those control commands, but the decision was taken here).
>
> I understand the drive to push for Python 2 removal and sympathize with
> it. The issue I had yesterday with the process is that "leaf" was
> wrongly defined, it was looking at Depends, instead of also including
> Build-Depends.

that should be fixed.

> I don't want to stand in the way of Python 2 removal, but as I said
> before, pulling packages out from underneath maintainers isn't pretty so
> needs to be done with proper notifications and care. An RC bug to ones
> own package is acceptable in my opinion as it is a clear discussion
> forum, and can be (temporarily) down-graded while the discussion is
> ongoing. Being notified about some other package that I not even need
> directly but is going to pull "my" package out of testing isn't a nice
> experience and should be avoided. Yes, that slows down the process, but
> there are people, emotions and all those irrational things involved.

It's unfortunate that issues for some packages only get attention when the
severity of an issue is raised.  Following your proposal means that the issue is
probably ignored forever, and you don't propose a better way going forward, just
saying we should stop earlier.  I don't think that's the correct choice.  For
now these seem to be single packages, so please could you name those, and we can
look at those with a priority?  That's at least a path that is forward looking,
or feel free to propose another approach better than your current proposal for
not getting the attention of maintainers.

Matthias

PS: There's a RC issue for creduce now, not caused by the package itself, should
I downgrade it?