Re: Example of packaged Django web application

On Thu, 2 May 2019 12:12:47 +0200
Olivier <oza.4h07@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read this [1] document but it doesn't include any example yet.
>
> 1. Do you know any Django application that is already packaged for
> either Stretch or Buster ?

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lava is one.

The problem is that this is much, much more than a Django application.
The lava-server package contains & deploys a web UI from a set of
django apps configured together. Questions about that package are best
sent upstream: https://git.lavasoftware.org/lava/pkg-lava-debian

You may get more examples this way:
$ apt-cache rdepends python3-django|grep -v python3
Reverse Depends:
  freedombox
  lava-server
  graphite-web
  dicoweb
  autoradio

> 2. How about adding in this Wiki page, a link to this example ?

For the reasons above, the lava-server package isn't the easiest to
parse. I'm not aware of a hello-world type django package. The one
listed on the draft page was subsequently turned into lava-server but
then has been refactored several times and expanded in multiple
directions.

> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/DjangoPackagingDraft

The page itself is very old - 6 years with the Draft suffix and plenty
of TODO items. It mentions south migrations which don't happen anymore
with django from stretch or buster. The whole page is badly out of date.

I don't know if any of the above packages ever looked at the draft
during packaging. I know that the lava-server package no longer follows
that draft in any meaningful manner. The page is still tied in with
changes to Django from django 1.2 to 1.3. The best thing for this page
might be that it gets deleted or at least edited to have a warning that
it is horribly out of date.

--

Neil Williams