Re: Rename package? (Re: Request to join DPMT and RFS: python-simpy/3.0.7-1 [ITA])

Hi,

On Tue, 19 May 2015 16:51:34 +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> In some cases (don't ask me which ones) Debian changes package
> names on fundamental changes, e.g. from "python-simpy" to
> "python-simpy3". This allows to update simpy without sudden or
> unexptected breakage of current packages or even locally
> installed software. There is no "accidental" upgrade path.
>
> OTOH, I'm not sure whether this effort would be justified in
> this case. Comments?

I see that upstream changed the name of Python module from Simpy to
simpy (lowercase). This means it's quite easy to make them
co-installable (correct me if I am wrong).

However, apt tells me that there are only two packages depending
on anything from python-simpy source:

- science-economics Recommends: python-simpy
- mgltools-scenario2 Depends: on python-simpy

I think with such a little number of rdepends it's easier to port
them than to carry two packages.

--
Dmitry Shachnev