Re: common issue: setlocale handling?

On Aug 22, 2010, at 10:16 PM, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:

>Using the standard warnings module this would only happen once for
>each python script.  This sounds like the more sensible behaviour, but
>it sounds like it should be fixed upstream so that the unguarded
>setlocale just shows this behaviour.  If everyone here agrees with
>that maybe someone should ask python to consider this?

My guess is that you'd get a lot of push back from folks in python-dev.  Won't
a change like this have the potential to produce confusing, wrong, or hard to
track down bugs?  This kind of implicit behavior change seems to run counter
to the "explicit is better" mantra.

Note too that there's no way this would change before Python 3.2.

I'm not qualified to personally champion this upstream, but I do encourage you
to submit a bug at bugs.python.org if you feel strongly about it.  If you
can't or don't want to bring it to the attention of python-dev, I will do so
in a neutral way.

I strongly discourage Debian from deviating from upstream here.

-Barry