Re: interpreter / stdlib split

On Mar 29, 2010, at 08:39 AM, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:

>I'm pretty new to packaging python.  Apologies in advance if I'm making
>bad assumptions.  I recently packaged IronPython.  It can optionally use
>the libraries from the standard python library.  It doesn't seem that
>these libs are distributed separately from the cpython interpreter.
>Would it be worth the effort to split the interpreter and the standard
>library into separate packages?  I don't know whether jython is capable
>of loading the library, but if it is, it seems reasonable to split
>things up a bit.

There is ongoing discussions in upstream Python-land about doing just this,
for similar reasons.  It seems the work for this has been stalled on upstream
Python switching to Mercurial (which likely won't happen until after Python
2.7 is released this summer).  The plan though is to split the standard
library out of the core CPython repository so that it can be better shared
among the alternative implementations.  I don't know whether or how that might
inform such a packaging split, but it's something to keep in mind.

-Barry