Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

Le lundi 19 mai 2008 à 19:22 +0100, Floris Bruynooghe a écrit :
> > The latter approach is less fragile overall,
>
> How is that?  As far as I can see both python-central and
> python-support maintain directories for each python version and
> symlink the .py files to a shared location.  Just on that basis I
> can't see why one is better then the other.  Am I missing something
> here?

The python-central approach puts in the same directories files managed
by dpkg and files managed by python-central, which means they cannot be
sorted out easily, and if you run in a bug like #409390 or #480741,
you’re hosed.

If anything ever gets wrong with python-support, all you need to do is
to run update-python-modules -f and the /var/lib/python-support
hierarchy will be entirely regenerated.

Because files are mixed in the same directories, python-central needs to
do horrible things in the preinst scripts just to guarantee the files
remain available during the upgrades. With a separate directory
structure, all that is needed is to delay the cleanup (which actually
resulted in reducing the code size for introducing this feature in
python-support).

As for the FHS argument, I don’t feel strongly for putting these files
in /var/lib, it just seemed like the most obvious location as this is
data that can be regenerated at any time. It can be changed very easily
if there is consensus that another place is better. What I do feel
strongly for, is putting them in a directory that remains separate
from /usr/lib/python2.X.

 .''`.