Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Le samedi 21 janvier 2006 à 01:48 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG a écrit :
> Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
> perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
> implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
> emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.

Or we can accept python for the same reasons that perl was accepted: it
is suitable, enough people like to write scripts in it, and many people
expect to be able to use it.

Sorry, but there's a whole new generation of Debian developers here that
simply won't develop anything in perl, just because perl looks too
complex and cryptic to us. Now, with bash, perl and python, we can deal
with the scripting needs for at least a few releases; trying to
anticipate what will happen later is pure speculation.

Regards,