Re: python-central vs python-support

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 02:23:45PM +0200, Marc Dequènes wrote:

> So, that's my idea, willing to automatize all complicated build rules,
> and remove the upper boundaries in dependencies, which would be rendered
> useless by intelligent binNMUs.

Er, I guess you do understand since you agreed with my previous mail, but
just to be clear, I'm going to spell it out to make sure everyone is on the
same page:

- An Arch: any python-foo extension package must depend on
  python (>= $minver), python (<< $maxver+1), where $minver is the earliest
  python ABI that it includes a compiled extension for and $maxver is the
  latest python ABI that it includes a compiled extension for.
- These $minver and $maxver values should not be hard-coded in
  debian/control; they should be automatically populated via a substvar
  that's set by the same tool that knows how to handle doing the multiple
  binary builds (if required).
- binNMUing such a package becomes possible to change either $minver or
  $maxver as needed without any requirement of source edits.