Re: Python .egg support in Debian

Le lundi 28 novembre 2005 à 13:51 -0600, Bob Tanner a écrit :
> IF Debian decides -not- to support .egg's a few python code bases (modules,
> applications, etc) will break.
>
> Looking into the future more python code bases will move to .egg so the
> number of broken code bases will only increase.
>
> I want to state what I think is the obvious, Debian must support .egg's.
>
> NOTE: The implementation of how .egg's are supported can be left to another
> thread.

You are completely misunderstanding the issue. There can be no such
thing as "Debian support for eggs". There can only be some Debian
packages of eggified software. And there will be, as some developers
will want to make them.

The problem is that eggs are broken by design, and we're trying to
convince upstream to fix their flaws, not only for our benefit but for
that of all distributions.

As they don't seem to listen to any of the arguments that were showed,
we'll obviously have to use crude hacks to get these applications in
Debian. The only remaining question may be which hack is the less ugly.

Regards,