Re: python2.2 for sarge?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 08:40:02AM +0200, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> fre 2002-07-26 klockan 03.31 skrev Donovan Baarda:
> > If people are using the "simple wrapper" approach to supporting the default
> > Python, then switching to 2.2 would just consist of releasing empty wrapper
> > packages with changed dependancies... pretty easy NMU stuff.
> >
> > If people are screaming for 2.2, then I'd say changing now and again to 2.3
> > in Dec would be minimal hassle. However, it depends on demand vs effort...
> >
> > If people really need 2.2, then it doesn't need to be the default anyway...
> > just use the python2.2-<foo> packages...
>
> Except that a lot of packages only exist as python?<foo>. python-gtk and
> pygame come to mind for example.

Then perhaps they need to be changed to pythonX.Y-<foo>? If the alternative
of making python2.2 the default isn't going to happen as soon as people
using those packages would like...

It's up to the mantainers, but I would think that something as bleeding edge
as as pygame and python-gtk would be logical candidates for python2.X-<foo>
packages.