Re: Updated idea for transition

On 6 Sep 2001, Mikael Hedin wrote:

> What about doing as gcc?  Produce python-1.5, python-2.1 and so on
> forever.  And then have a package python that just drags in the
> official version, and links /usr/bin/python.  If we nuke python-base,
> all old modules get upgradrd I think.  (Similar for python-foo etc.)

Sure ( ;-) ), and anything depending on "python" is expected to work
with any version of Python... that leads to the problem of how to
install something that depends on any Python, to every Python on the
system without duplicating all the .py-s.

It would be easy if python had two paths to deal with; one for version
independent .py-s only (in a read-only directory), another for .py|c|o
(read-write).  Code that didn't care which Python executes it would be
installed in the r-o dir, the .pyc|o-s resulting from a compile would
automatically get stored in the r-w dir.

Is this kind of enhancement suitable as a Debian-only tweak,
or would it need to be part of Python itself?

How long would it take to implement... for Python?, for Debian?

- Bruce