Re: Intent for NMU of python-2.1 packages

On 4 Sep 2001, David Maslen wrote:
> Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@mediasupervision.de> writes:
> > How does that sound ?
>
> I think it sounds like an awful lot of work.  I still don't really
> understand why we keep python1.5, but presumably there are some good
> reasons, and I trust the debian team to have thrashed that out by now.
>
> You mentioned emacs, which made me think about xemacs packaging
> system, and wonder how the python packaging system might work for
> debian? Probably it doesn't really.
>
> Ideally I only want to install python2.1 (or whatever the latest
> greatest is), but if I did find a need for 1.5 then I would like it to
> be able to co-exist.

[which is pretty much the answer to your first paragraph, imo]

> It would be nice, if I only have 2.1 installed,
> for the packaging system to automagically configure python as an
> alternative for python2.
>
> Probably it would be pretty cool if modules could sort out at install
> time what version they were to compile for, just like some debian lisp
> packages do for different emacsen.

Hmmm, (with no regard to robustness)...

~$ locate "*bin/python?.?*" | sed s/bin/lib/
/usr/lib/python1.5
/usr/lib/python2.0
/usr/lib/python2.1
/usr/local/lib/python2.1-local
/usr/local/lib/python2.2

...is probably a good starting point.

The installer could try installing everywhere,
erasing all traces of failed attempts as it goes along.

No need to register anything...
but maybe a need to exclude some Python installations from getting
stuff installed to them.

- Bruce