Re: From kali to debian

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 02:46:07PM +0700, Arnaud Rebillout wrote:
> In any case, answer is No. Kali Linux and Debian are different Linux
> distributions. If you want to install Debian, you need to download the
> Debian installer and install Debian on your disk, therefore erasing your
> previous Kali Linux installation. You can't jump from one distro to the
> other.

Kali is somewhat based on Debian, so changing from Kali to a Debian
distribution that is NEWER than the Debian that this Kali version is
based on should be technically possible.

This however needs vast expertise in Debian and might result in a
package combination that nobody tested, making it difficult to support
that installation. Additionally, this crosscrade path might end up on
Debian unstable, making it necessary to wait at least one Debian release
cycle to eventually end up on Debian stable.

In a nutshell, if you have to ask whether it's possible, chances are big
that your technical skills are not sufficient to end up in a useable and
supportable Debian installation. Hence, my advice to the original poster
is "don't do this".

Of course it is possible to move over the home directory's contents to
the new installation. Best restore from a backup (hint! hint!) and don't
restore the dotfiles.

Greetings
Marc