Re: Covering visa fees as part of flights+accommodation expenses for events

On തി, ജൂൺ 27 2022 at 05:34:48 വൈകു +02:00:00 +02:00:00, Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> wrote:
Furthermore, visa requirements tend to affect people from less
privileged countries the most. If we're serious about diversity, I think
that we should include covering the visa fee if we offer
travel+accommodation by default, and that this should be the default for
DebConf going forward, and ideally for all Debian events.

+1 Thanks for this proposal.

I realise I have some bias here, I myself come from a country where I
need a visa nearly everywhere I want to travel to, but I do think that
including visa fees by default will help making Debian easier to
contribute to for people who come from such countries, and ultimately
have a small role in helping us expand to more areas and improve our
diversity.

I think that is a benefit of diversity rather than bias. Having people in influencial position with diverse backgrounds makes it easy to understand others needs and requirements.

I don't think this needs to be a GR per sé, but I'd like to hear the
views of others on this, and I hope that we can garner enough consensus
so that we can just go ahead and implement this in our future bursary
policies.

-Jonathan