Re: Covering visa fees as part of flights+accommodation expenses for events

Hi Daniel (2022.06.27_15:57:52_+0000)
> I think covering travel Visa fees makes a lot of sense.

+1

> Thus I suggest a maximum fee for any Visa related activities, e.g. a default
> of USD 200, adjusted to inflation and (if necessary) relative Visa-cost
> insanity of DebConf hosting countries*. Because sometimes travel is required
> to just get a Visa, e.g. going to a larger city to apply in person. Of
> course - as with all our reimbursement - only the actual cost can be claimed
> with receipts.

That sounds sensible. I'd go one step further and say that any
visa-related travel costs shouldn't be automatically covered, but
require the sign-off of the visa team (for debconf, or DPL otherwise).

In the case of Indian visas this year, it took the local team a few
weeks of effort to find a better solution than travel to Istanbul for
the Indian attendees. I think we want the pressure to be on for visa
team to try to make something like that happen.

I'd also suggest that the bursaries team publish a clearer list of what
is and isn't acceptable for travel reimbursement (e.g. taxis, travel
hotels).

SR

--
Stefano Rivera