Re: Covering visa fees as part of flights+accommodation expenses for events

Am 27.06.22 um 17:34 schrieb Jonathan Carter:
I don't think this needs to be a GR per sé, but I'd like to hear the views of others on this, and I hope that we can garner enough consensus so that we can just go ahead and implement this in our future bursary policies.

I think covering travel Visa fees makes a lot of sense.

We had cases in the past that go (far) beyond just the official Visa fees though. E.g. a person wanted to fly LA <-> NY to pick up a Visa sticker. They asked for the flights plus a hotel night in NY. The team - at the time - recommended to use FedEx instead.

Thus I suggest a maximum fee for any Visa related activities, e.g. a default of USD 200, adjusted to inflation and (if necessary) relative Visa-cost insanity of DebConf hosting countries*. Because sometimes travel is required to just get a Visa, e.g. going to a larger city to apply in person. Of course - as with all our reimbursement - only the actual cost can be claimed with receipts.

* Visa fees are often reciprocal between countries. They are a political means much more than an administrative.