Re: Can the Debian Project ever fall?

On 2022/06/07 06:48, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
Thing is, Debian is living in a wonderful environment and "steals"
right and left (and is "stolen from"), courtesy of the free software
idea. And we're all richer for that!

Well, the views of people (or even Debian developers (or even the DPL)) on this list don't necessarily reflect the views of the entire project. But I for one can tell you that I value the work that Arch, Alpine, Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc does, and hope that the positive relationship and areas where we can contribute together (examples: lts kernels, reproducible builds, that kind of stuff) continues to happen and expand so that there are more areas we can work on together and duplicate less work.

As for the future of Debian, I consider it a very young project, some people consider it old because it's one of the distros that's been around along time, but we're still going through teething problems, and so is the software industry as a whole, if you'd compare us to the motor industry, I think we're just about transitioning out of the Model T Ford era right now, the future of software is exciting and I think the pace of development is going to increase to the point where in a few years, we could easily clump together the computers we have today along with the ones from the 90's.

As for Debian, I think we're either going to figure out how to adapt and move faster, and play a bigger role in the world of software, or another Debian is going to come along with similar values that's more organised and does it instead.

-Jonathan