Re: Working for Linux/Debian

Awesome thank you. Jonas spoke about his passion but that really gives a more concrete plan. Interesting to consider and I will do some more research to see what I can get started with with working on! Appreciate your help!

Hey Jonas,

That is really awesome and my mindset is similar. It’s just that there are sometimes cultural pressures and such so I’m just trying to figure out a way to pursue my passions, learn what I am interested in practically while making the money I need in the mean time. Awesome to have met someone that has a similar mindset and really inspiring to hear that you have been able to make it work. How did you go about building your knowledge? I’ve just tried different things on Linux and completed An Introductory certification through the Linux foundation. I’m comfortable with the basics of how to operate Debian and other distros but want to learn more. I’m most comfortable with apt and Debian based systems at this point.

That is really helpful that you point out that you’re basically a freelancer and that you’ve been able to make it work. I wasn’t sure if that was possible and up to this point was assuming that you just had to work for a big company in order to make the money you need and then do various projects on the side.

Zayd

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 21:55 Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Zayd Ahmed wrote:

> I hope that you are doing well. My name is Zayd. I am currently in the midst of a career change. A couple of years ago, I discovered Linux and realize that I have a passion for it. I have already completed my Bachelors degree. I recently also completed an Introduction to Linux course through the Linux Foundation. I was looking at different jobs and realized there are many different Linux Engineer positions available. I, however, do not have the necessary experience and qualifications. This is something that I would like to pursue and was wondering if you can give me information about pursuing a career in Linux. I enjoy and use Debian but I wasn’t sure who to get in touch with this. If you do not have the information, can you point me in the direction of someone either at Debian or elsewhere who could help me learn how to get into a career with Linux Administration or Software Development geared towards Linux. Thank you and best wishes!

The best option is to pick a job that you would like to have. The
debian-jobs mailing list, as well as the FOSSjobs site and the links
on the FOSSjobs wiki are useful sources of Linux and FLOSS related
jobs. Then review the requirements for the positions you are
interested in, start learning the skills needed and do work on the
related projects as a volunteer in your spare time. Eventually you
will have a track record of relevant experience that will be enough to
apply for the jobs you are interested in.

https://www.fossjobs.net/
https://github.com/fossjobs/fossjobs/wiki/resources

--
bye,