Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

~ ~ ~

I almost punched a wall while reading the message I'm replying to. I cannot
possibly convey to you all the rage that it provoked. Should the author had
been nearby, I wish I could say I would have charged against him.

~ ~ ~

Like most people in Debian mailing lists, Norbert addresses people by their
given name, and refers to them in the third person also by their given name:

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 08:37 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Martina,

But these are excerpts from the parent message, and from his blog:

On https://www.preining.info/blog/2019/12/debian-and-the-privileged-gender-class,
Norbert Preining wrote:

> By itself one would just put this email aside as an outlier to the otherwise
> reasonable debate, but Ferrari is member of the Anti-Harassment Team [...]
>
> I dared to answer to Ferrari’s email and remind her [...] but what happened
> is that others jumped up immediately to defend Ferrari.

I'm here to say one thing, and one thing only: I despise you, Norbert Preining.

I couldn't care less if this behavior of yours is intentional, or unconscious;
purposeful, or apathetic. If it's considered a departure from the CoC, or not.
What matters to me is that it made my blood boil; it made me want to punch
walls; it provoked rage at the very limit of what I can bear.

I am not going to justify this rage, to you, or to anybody. In 2006 I cried for
an hour when someone called SirDinosaur called me "fag" on IRC. I want to use
this rage now to prevent you from making others cry. So, again, I will say
this: I despise you, Norbert Preining, for your existance as a being capable of
sparking such rage (in me), and causing such immense pain (to my loved ones).

Your work in Debian is enormous, but your ability to cause pain grossly
surpases it. It's as if your mouth were incapable of _not_ causing pain. I wish
you would shut up, or leave. In my view, a community is not a place where
harassers are expelled—that happens in corporations too. A community is a place
where people voluntarily learn not to make peers cry.

I do hope karma catches up with you someday.

-d