Re: metaphors and feminism

Hi Ian

On 2019/03/30 20:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Paul Wise writes ("Re: metaphors and feminism"):
>> Personally I think the phrase "Debian Developer" and the abbreviation
>> DD is a relic of an earlier era when the set of tasks available to
>> Debian contributors were more technical and less varied.
>
> As the person perhaps most responsible for the choice of the word
> `Developer' I think your explanation is very ... charitable.  It is
> certainly clear to at least me that it is the wrong word.
>
>> I try to use "Debian member" in mails since it is clearer what that
>> means to a larger set of people and I'd like to see Debian culture
>> (and perhaps the official documents) move towards that too.
>
> I see other people doing this too.  I like it.
>
> The problem of course is that the official term is not "member" so
> this is unclear and arguably wrong in some sense.  It should be.  I
> would second a GR to change it.
>
> There is also a problem with acronyms.  Debian Member => "DM" but we
> already have "Debian Maintainers".  I think it would be best to rename
> Debian Maintainers too.  Particularly since you can be a maintainer of
> a package in Debian without having your key in the Debian Maintainers'
> keyring, so this term is very confusing.

+1 on renaming Debian Maintainers too in such a scenario.

> ADM = "Authorised Debian Maintainers" or "Assistant/Associate Debian
> Members" or something maybe ?

So, how about:

DM: Debian Members. Full members of the project that can represent
themselves as such, vote in elections, and have a @debian.org email
address. (Pretty much what a DD and non-uploading DD is).

So, I'm just braindumping below and not sure that this is the best, but
it might be useful to have different types of non-member roles within
Debian. I also think it's useful to have a step-up to becoming a Debian
Member rather than an all or nothing approach. The DM -> DD process
works quite well, I recommend it to a lot of people that want to become
a DD, but we don't really have something like that for non-uploading
people. Below I went with "Community" as a word to describe non-member
contribution roles:

DCU: Debian Community Uploaders. These are people that are part of the
larger Debian community, but not formally part of Debian. They have
already uploaded some packages by means of sponsor and they have
demonstrated enough skill and that they can be trusted to have
unsupervised upload rights to the Debian archives (so, what DM is now)

DCM: Debian Community Members. These are people who might typically not
be interested in uploading, or even technical matters. They actively
work in community matters like improving local teams, organising meetups
and talks, contributing to Debian, etc. Just like DCM status would allow
unsupervised uploads, DCM members can get more access to certain
administrative areas that they might be involved in.

It might even be nice to offer something like an @debian.community email
address for DC* roles, which may make it easier in terms of access
control to certain services, but now I'm putting the cart before the
horse :)

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage