Re: Binary compatibility policy for security updates and point releases

Hi,

Ondřej Surý a écrit le 17/03/2019 à 08:43 :
> Jakob,
>
> the backward incompatible ABI changes are generally something we avoid in stable releases.
>
> There might be occasional exception to the rule where it cannot be avoided, but it is not something we take lightly.

Are these incompatible changes from security updates advertised somewhere?

On a related matter we've just experienced at $work a scientific
software breakage after a recent jessie security upgrade. The breakage
is caused by the upgrade of ghostscript to 9.26a~dfsg-0+deb8u1. In this
new ghostscript release the pswrite driver used by our software was
deprecated.
The fix is easy (use the ps2write driver instead), but my colleagues are
now very concerned about Debian security upgrades which can introduce
such non backward compatible changes.
Shouldn't backward incompatibilities introduced by security upgrades be
advertised somewhere? At least in the NEWS.Debian file?

Thanks in advance for any input,

_g.