Re: hacking a home with free technology and Debian

On 02/10/18 19:23, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Daniel Pocock
>
>> Can anybody comment if they give a genuinely plug-and-play experience,
>> without needing firmware blobs or proprietary tools to get up and
>> running?  Or are there even better alternatives for the
>> freedom-conscious Debian user?
>
> No experience with the Zigate, but I have the aotec z-wave stick and it
> works fine with other zigwave equipment. (I'm using home-assistant to
> drive everything, I don't think that's particularly important, it just
> uses the python libs.)

Thanks for confirming this, I added a new section on the wiki[1] listing
Z-Stick and Zigate.

If nobody is sure about Zigate then maybe I'll just buy one, test it and
share my observations.

If anybody can suggest any other Debian-friendly option please feel free
to add it to the table.

Noodles blogged[2] about heating yesterday, it is really helpful.  As an
Australian in Europe, heating is at the top of my list too but my own
project is bigger and requires more zoning logic.  I'm currently tempted
to put the Oomi sensor[3] in every room, hallway, garage and loft and
use a wired valve, controlled by a Z-wave on/off relay, on every
radiator (there are 14 of them and it is still too cold).  Has anybody
tried anything like that, either with Domoticz, Home Assistant or any
other solution?

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://wiki.debian.org/HomeAutomation