Welcome team progress, local groups interest

Hello,

I am at DebConf 17 in Montreal (my first DebConf), it has been a
fantastic week to meet many people I have interacted with online (or not).

My focus was on making the Welcome team progress and increase membership
(welcome ClaraTrT!). After attending several BoFs and talking to many of
you from differents places and backgrounds it appeared obvious there
needs to be close collaboration and feedback between Welcome team,
publicity, web and doc teams. I was lucky to be able to host a BoF and
those who attended made suggestions and comments on the mission and
objectives too.

As a result I joined the publicity team and will be contributing there
as time permits. Over the next few days I will be getting in touch with
all listed Local Groups on the wiki to let them know about this. It
seems the most productive way to increase the awareness of Debian
activity in this context (new users/contributors) is to sollicit the
Local Groups to contribute news items and to translate and use the
Welcome Team landing pages:

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome/Users

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome/Contributors

For now this is on the wiki and I hope to learn more about the web team
to contribute this more formally there. It's also a bit chaotic but I
hope to apply all I learned and noted in the next few days. Anyone
interested should be able to catch up with us on IRC (#debian-welcome) -
or here, as appropriate.

Cheers,

- Fabian

--