Re: GitHub Open Source Survey 2017

On 2017-06-14 13:06, Chris Lamb wrote:
>> Well over 50% have marked CLAs of some type of importance. Isn't
>> that high?
> Yes, I would have guessed much lower. I would hope it was due to a
> philosophical reaction to assigning copyright to
> $also_commercial_corp rather than it being merely a hoop to jump
> through before a PR will be accepted, but the latter might be
> skewing the stats.
>
> Can we get more clarity from GitHub itself here..?

Looking at the data it seems like the data come from the following:

> 7) When thinking about whether to use open source software, how
> important are the following things?

> 8) When thinking about whether to contribute to an open source
> project, how important are the following things?

Graded by
* Very important to have
* Somewhat important to have
* Not important either way
* Somewhat important not to have
* Very important not to have
* Don't know what this is

Given those options I have a hard time seeing that people putting
"Very important not to have" should be bundled together with "Somewhat
important to have" =)

Looked in the survey_data file and the break down for the two types of

 User   Contributor
  490 	  419       Very important to have
 1024	  712	    Somewhat important to have
 2282    1266       Not important either way
  336     327       Somewhat important not to have
  157     166       Very important not to have
  488     280       Don't know what this is

I am worried that a good portion of the people outside of "Don't know
what this is" actually does not now what it is, most of them are
indifferent to them.

- --
brother
http://sis.bthstudent.se