Re: What it means to be Debian

On 06/16/2015 03:27 PM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> Debian isn't advertised as a distribution whose main goal is to
> provide 100% free something while not providing anything non-free,
> I think there are other projects with such advertising. So I think
> that such strong metaphors can't be applied to Debian.

Except it is by our Social Contract.

Regarding that I think we should point people that reach this
community (especially if they want input from us) towards things we
work on: so to say we have **free** services as alternatives to *that*
google services and we use and stand by them. Said that, I do not
think that we should call "illness" if someone uses non-free services
(especially as a tool to contact for the first time our community) as
that is not helping our cause and people don't need to know about free
services. Would it be good and moral to know and use free software -
yes, is it necessary for someones "normal" life - no. The "illness"
part Dominik proposed is not constructive in a same way we would say
you can't get driver license because you don't know how car works so
you are ill.

On the other hand - I do believe that Debian contributors should
uphold Social Contract and DFSG as much as possible because if we
don't push it forward and believe in it, then no one else will.

At the end of the day, it matters what persons we are and not what
tools do we use. I totally love and support Mako's POV for using free
tools to create free software - but that should be duty of us who a
bond to this community and create those tools and not to average user
because AFAIK you don't need to know how and who produced organic food
to buy one (everyone can find countless examples on this thought).

Be polite, give your best on everything but also understand that not
everyone has neither will have freedom to use/do something without
making their life more difficult for not (in their eyes) too much
personal gain.

Just my 2c,

zlatan
- --