Re: About the recent DD retirements

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:03:08AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >  CRAN has about 6k (~250 in Debian),
> Just to piggyback here, debian-r.debian.net has about 8.6k of these
> packages (bioc, cran, and omegahat).

Talk about giving 110%! [0]

> > Yes, I really think Debian should have 300k+ packages, including
> > everything in all the language archives
> Handling this will probably require second-class packages, where we use
> automated tools to package the package, and hope for the best. In some
> ways, we're already starting to go that way,[1] but it would be nice to
> use all of Debian's infrastructure even for those second-class packages,
> too.

Archive, mirrors, lintian, piuparts, other qa stuff, yep. Promotion to
testing [1], maybe? BTS, I somewhat don't think so? NEW-esque license
review seems impractical.

Probably also wants an additional db tracking what upstream
commit/whatever was converted to which Debian-ised version.

Cheers,
aj

[0] Or more accurately 110% of 110% of 110% of 110%

[1] Oh, dude! I finally thought of a possible rename for britney:
    pro-test as in promotion to testing.