Re: donations and paypal

On 17/11/2014 10:15, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 17/11/14 at 16:09 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>>
>>> However, this is not a reason to bounce my email from -www@ to -project@
>>> without making it clear that you did that (by forwarding it instead of
>>> bouncing it, for example).
>>
>> FTR, I was the one who bounced the message, not David.
>
> Ah, then I apologize for blaming David.
>
> But given that you chose to move this discussion to -project@, I'd like
> to extend to you the same questions I asked to David.
>
> As I already wrote, I totally agree that Paypal is far from perfect,
> and, if there were some FLOSS-friendly payment processors available, I
> would love to see Debian advertise and use them. There's a simple path
> to scratch that itch: help design FLOSS-friendly payment processors, and
> help our TOs support them.
>
> However, in the meantime, I don't think that the problems with Paypal
> are a sufficient condition to refrain from using it. I actually see this
> discussion as similar to the one about the use of CDNs: CDNs are more an
> infrastructure issue than a free software issue; payment processors are
> a financial issue, not a free software issue.
As the Debian France treasurer, I am glad we have Paypal available and used.
That simplifies a lot the daily "maintenance" of the association in term
subscriptions (the accounting is automatically updated when a new person
subscribes to the association).

Bank transfer can be a pain in some banks; dealing with checks and cashes
take a lot of time. Paypal, despite all its flaws, is great for what we
are doing in Debian France.

To avoid leaving too much money on Paypal, from time to time, we transfer
most of the cash from the Paypal account to our bank account.

Cheers,
Sylvestre